Sustainability is very important at Estrel Berlin and an integral part of the corporate philosophy. Given the grand scale of the Estrel's operation, an ecologically responsible use of resources is essential. During the planning and construction of the Estrel, the energy supply was designed with these aspects in mind. We understand sustainability to mean more than compliance with environmental guidelines. Rather, it is pursued holistically, encompasing all aspects of the operation:
Mobility & Logistics
- Optimal connection to public transport
- Low-emision shuttle vehicles
- Free charging of e-bikes & e-cars
Energy & Heating
- Lowering the facility temperature during the night
- Use of energy-saving lamps
- Use of energy-saving devices
- Photovoltaic system
- Investment in energy-saving heating systems
- No plastic and disposable packaging
- Recycling of all packaging
- Eco-friendly office supplies
- Waste separation
- Waste press machine
Water & Cleaning
- Water-saving bathroom facilities and plumbing equipment
- Use of a climate neutral laundry service
- Biodegradable detergents
- Guest participation in determining frequency of towel, bedlinen and room cleaning
- Greywater system
- Partnership with "To Good to Go"
- Own greenhouse
- Onsite production of bee honey
- Regional food suppliers
Having a positive influence on society through unbureaucratic social engagement is a matter close to our hearts. For that reason, we have been actively committed to a diverse portfolio of social institutions for years. An impression of the spectrum of these initiatives may be obtained here.
- The collection of donated gifts for the children of a Neukölln children's & youth house
- Christmas party for these children since 2011
Donation in Kind
- Donation of high-quality furniture to city mission
- Clothing donations to the homeless and refugees
School Building in Developing Countries
- Support for the organization "buildOn"
- Financing the building of schools in developing countries
- Volunteering on-site
Christmas Party for the Homeless and Needy
- Held since 1998
- Goose dinner for 2,500+ persons in need
- Joint project with Frank Zander
Charity Gala für Hospice
- Support for the "Ball under the Stars" held since 2006
- Donations benefit Berlin's Ricam Hospice
Job Fair for Refugees and Foreign Employees
- Establishment of the "Job Fair for Refugees and Foreign Employees" in conjunction with the Federal
- Employment Agency, held annually since 2016
As a company in the tourism and event industry, we face the global challenges of our time. While much of what we do is based on the tried and tested, when it makes sense, we initiate innovative projects. For example, we grow vegetables and herbs for the restaurant kitchens in a 45 sqm greenhouse located 50 meters up on the roof of the Estrel.
Up to 160 kWh of energy are generated with the help of a photovoltaic system installed on the roof of Convention Hall II. This makes the congress hall, which opened in 2015, extremely energy-efficient. In addition, a grey water system was installed to supply the sanitary facilities; instead of flushing water, there are waterless urinals.
Since 2013, the Estrel has been supporting the aid organization buildOn, an NGO (non-governmental organization), through which numerous schools have been built in the poorest countries of the world. Most recently, among others, with the financial support of Estrel, schools were build in Malawi and Senegal. What is special about this project is that Estrel employees have been actively involved in building the schools on site. Just recently, some of our colleagues went to Guatemala and together with 10 members of the buildOn Berlin team, they spent several days working with villagers in Guatemala on the construction of a new school. The team had an unforgettable experience.
Our partner Greif Textile Mietsysteme has been calculating the CO2 emissions arising in connection with the laundering of rented linens (including towels, bed linen, tablecloths, etc.) at the Estrel since July 2019 and offsetting these emissions through a greenhouse gas compensation program offered by a certified reforestation project in Colombia.
Two projects at the Estrel proactively tackle the challenge of food waste: “Estrel Share” is a program through which overproduction of snacks and meals are made available to Estrel employees free of charge via convenient employee “Estrel Share” refrigerators. We also make active use of the “Too Good To Go” app which enables hotels and restaurants to offer excess food that would otherwise end up in the garbage can for a reduced price.